Search by Category
- Credit Reports
- Identity Thefts
- Better Business Bureau: Use this site to check the reliability of companies and charities. There is also a section on Consumer Tips provides information on cars, charities, the Internet, finance, health, and scams. The local BBB is the BBB of Eastern PA
- Consumer Information from the Federal Trade Commission: A reputable resource from the U.S. Government, this site can help you find consumer information about money & credit, homes & mortgages, health & fitness, jobs & making money, and privacy & identity. You can also file a consumer complaint, register for the Do Not Call list, report identity theft, and get your free credit report.
- Consumers Union: Consumers Union is the non-profit publisher of Consumer Reports. This site contains consumer tips as well as the current campaigns and projects of Consumers Union.
- Consumer World: Large directory of consumer-related websites and articles.
- DTV.gov: What you need to know about digital TV transition
- Gethuman Database: This searchable site gives you steps to bypass automated customer service phone systems to help you reach a human faster. Search by company, get the phone number for customer service and the code to reach a human faster.
- Household Products Database: Find information on household products including potential health effects and product safety. Search by product category or name.
- National Do Not Call Registry
- Publications from USA.gov is operated by the Federal Citizen Information Center and provides access to government and government-sponsored publications for consumers. Publications, including the Consumer Action Handbook can be downloaded to your computer or shipped to you directly.
- Social Security Administration: The SSA has developed an incredibly useful website. Make this the first place to look for social security information.
- PA Do Not Call List
- PA Office of Consumer Advocate: Find PA specific consumer information in the following areas:
electricity, natural gas, telephone, and water.
- PA Power Switch: from the PA Public Utility Commission. Learn about how you may save money by switching your electric supplier. See what options are available and educate yourself about topics ranging from why to switch to which questions to ask.
- PA Office of Attorney General: Look at the Consumers section for information regarding various scams and recalls. There is also a Education section for articles on becoming an informed consumer.
- BBB of Eastern PA: Use Obtain a Report to find BBB-produced reliability reports on both member and non-member companies.
- PA Insurance Department: Click on Consumers to research insurance companies licensed to operate in PA and view and compare rates. Take a look under Regulation>Regulatory Actions to view enforcement reports.
- Hospital Performance Report from the Pennsylvania Health Care Cost Containment Council: Find a hospital performance report on selected procedures and treatments in PA. The PA Health Care Cost Containment Council is an independent state agency formed to investigate rising health care costs.
- Bureau of Charitable Organizations: Search for information on a charity using the links on the right of the page. The Bureau of Charitable Organizations maintains information on charities licensed to solicit in PA.
- Safercar.gov: Look up crash and rollover ratings for specific cars on this site produced by the
- National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration.
- NADA Guides: Research new and used car prices and values.
- Kelley Blue Book: Research new and used car prices and values.
- Edmunds: Research new and used cars.
- Consumer Reports Best Buy Drugs: Published by Consumers Union, publishers of Consumer Reports, this website is designed to help consumers and doctors make informed decisions about prescription drugs. A new drug report will be added each month.
- Healthfinder.gov: has resources on a wide range of health topics selected from approximately 1,400 government and non-profit organizations to bring you the best, most reliable health information on the Internet. Choose Find Services Near You from the menu on the right to find health care services in your area.
- Traveler’s Health from the CDC: Keep your trip a healthy one. Find health information for specific destinations (including recommended vaccinations), information on disease outbreaks, information on safe eating, traveling with children, special needs travelers, and cruise ships and air travel.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Find consumer health information from the CDC. It includes information on birth defects, disabilities, diseases and conditions, emergency preparedness, environmental health, and vaccines and immunizations.
- Hospital Performance Report from the Pennsylvania Health Care Cost Containment Council: Find a hospital performance report on selected procedures and treatments in PA.
- Recalls.gov: Find recalls and product safety information. Search by date, product type, or product category.
- U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission: Find recalls and product safety information. Search by date, product type, or product category.
- Snopes.com has come to be regarded as an online touchstone of rumor research. The site's work has been described as painstaking, scholarly, and reliable.
- Internet Fraud Complaint Center: Use this site to file a complaint regarding internet fraud.
- FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center: Use this site to learn more about internet crime schemes and file complaints about illegal activities on the internet. These crimes may include, but are not limited to, advance-fee schemes, non-delivery of goods or services, computer hacking, or employment/business opportunity schemes.
- Symantec Response Services
- Charity Navigator: Find ratings for over 3,500 charities. Charity Navigator is a non-profit organization.
- Give.org from the BBB Wise: Find reports on national charities judged on the Better Business Bureau’s charity standards.
- Bureau of Charitable Organizations: Search for information on a charity. The Bureau of Charitable Organizations maintains information on charities licensed to solicit in PA.
- Guidestar: Guidestar provides information on non-profit organizations. A basic report is free; a more detailed report is available with a subscription to the site.
- American Institute of Philanthropy: The AIP is a "charity watchdog service.” Their "Charity Rating Guide and Watchdog Report” is available upon request. A list of their top-rated charities is available on the site.
- JustGive.org: A highlight of this site is the "JustGive Guide,” a list of 1000 charities arranged by
- category. Charities listed in the "JustGive Guide” have met specific JustGive criteria.
- Shop: The Credit Card You Pick Can Save You Money: This brochure written by the Federal Reserve Board explains how to choose a credit card.
- FXConverter from Oanda.com: The Foreign Exchange Currency Converter finds exchange rates for 164 currencies.
- Bankrate.com: Find rates on a variety of loans including mortgages and auto loans.
- MyMoney.gov: A U.S. Government website focused on educating consumers about personal finance. Find helpful articles on topics such as budgeting, credit, financial planning, home ownership, retirement planning, and savings.
- Martindale’s Calculators online Center: Find over 19,000 online calculators in a variety of categories including science, math, calendars, cooking, currency conversion, gratuities, and personal finance (including mortgage calculators).
- The Simple Dollar: The big idea behind is to help people make truly better decisions by clearly laying out their options with content topics spearheaded by leading industry professionals. Because of their unbiased approach, they’ve been a trusted source for government entities and organizations throughout the US.
- Homefair: Find various calculators to compare cost of living, cities, and salaries on this site. Also, find information on moving.
- Homestore: Find homes, apartments, and senior housing. Also use Homestore’s city and neighborhood comparison tools.
- Moving.com: Find information on moving, realtors, insurance, and storage. Under the category Real Estate, find city profile, city comparison, and salary comparison tools.
- Sperling’s Best Places: Compare cities, neighborhoods, schools, cost of living, crime rates and climates.
- Best Places to Live from Money Magazine: Search through Money Magazine’s database from its annual Best Places to Live feature.
- Your Access to Free Credit Reports: An amendment to the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) requires the national credit bureaus to provide consumers with a free copy of their credit report once every 12 months.
- Your National Resource for Identity Theft: A guide to identity theft from the FTC. Find out what to do when your identity has been stolen and how to recover from it. Another resource on identity theft from the FTC is Take Charge: Fighting Back Against Identity Theft.
- Identity Theft and Fraud: Information on identity theft from the Department of Justice.
- Identity Theft Resource Center: A nonprofit organization dedicated to identity theft. It includes information on victim resources, consumer resources, workplace ID theft, scams, and current laws.
- Safeshopping.org: Information on shopping online presented by the
- American Bar Association.
- Epinions.com: Find consumer reviews on a variety of products. Epinions is a service of