Geography & Maps
Search by Category
Country & State Maps
- Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection: Large collection of political, physical, and historical maps for the US and the world; also includes nice selection of other map sites on the Internet.
- Blank and Outline Maps: Lists sources of blank and outline maps for the U.S. and the world.
- National Geographic Map Machine: Find U.S. and world maps; includes topographic maps, conservation and ecology maps, trip planning, satellite maps, political maps, and historical maps
- National Atlas: Atlas of the United States; find pre-formatted maps or customize your own
- Atlas of Canada: Includes Canadian-specific maps of the environment, people & society, economy, history, climate change, freshwater and health
- Geographic Names Information System from the USGS: Search for physical and geographical features in the US; entry gives latitude and longitude and links to available USGS and other government maps for that feature or place (including topographical maps)
- Google Maps: Search for a specific address or locations in the US; click and drag the map to find areas; satellite views of maps are available
- CIA World Factbook: Each entry contains information on the geography, people, government, economy, communications, transportation, military, maps, and flags of the country.
- U.S. State Department Background Notes: Country information produced by the U.S. State Department; each entry contains information on the land, people, history, government, and economy of the country.
- Country Studies: Produced by the Library of Congress, these studies include the history, society, economy, government, and national security of select countries.
- Cultural Profiles Project: Cultural profiles developed by Citizenship and Immigration of Canada between the years 1998-2002; information geared to Canada and may be dated.
- MapQuest: Free driving directions in the US, Canada and some European countries.
- Google Maps: Free driving directions.
- ViaMichelin: Driving directions in the United States, Canada, and Europe.
- How Far Is It?: Determines distance (as the crow flies) between two locations; search by name or latitude and longitude.
- Geography from About.com: Collection of links and resources for geography.
- Internet Resources for Geographers: Collection of links and resources for geography; includes journals, professional associations and map collections.
- NASA Earth Observatory: Find satellite images and data on the Earth with an emphasis on climate and environmental change.
- Planet Diary: Find out about recent environmental and natural events; search by event type or date.
- Finding and Ordering USGS Topographic Maps: Contains information on where to locate and purchase topographic maps.
- Topozone.com: View USGS topographic maps; search by location name or latitude/longitude; some services require a TopozonePro subscription.
- Topographical Map Symbols: Learn about topographical maps and the symbols they use in this publication from the United States Geological Service (USGS)
- US Topo: To download or order USGS maps.