- Our Resources
- Websites by Subject
- Health & Medicine
Health & Medicine
The selected medical websites are designed to educate and inform on consumer health topics, but should not be taken as medical advice or professional services. Medical decisions should be made in consultation with a physician. When evaluating medical websites, it is important to consider the sponsoring agency. Favor websites developed by the federal government, research institutions, and reputable medical organizations. Look for publication dates and consider the currency of the information presented.
- Addiction Support
- Basic Consumer Health
- Heart Disease
- Medication, Pharmaceuticals & Alternative Therapies
- Men’s Health
- Nutrition and Wellness
- Provider Directories & Referrals
- Public & Environmental Health
- Research in Medicine
- Senior Health
- Women’s Health
- Library Health & Medicine Databases
- AddictionGroup.org This site provides information on various types of substance use disorders and treatments. Evidence-based content written by journalists and medical professionals.
- BeTobaccoFree.gov provides information from various Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) operating and staff divisions. Topics covered include: about tobacco, quitting, health effects, and more. The site provides one-stop access to U.S. Government information on tobacco topics.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse The website of the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) provides information to researchers, medical professionals, patients, and families about commonly abused drugs, descriptions of drugs, support to addicts and their caregivers, and more. NIDA is a federal scientific research institute under the National Institutes of Health.
- Smokefree.gov provides free, accurate, evidence-based information and professional assistance to help support the immediate and long-term needs of people trying to quit smoking.
- MEDLINE Plus: Learn more about symptoms, causes, and preventative measures for more than 950 illnesses, health conditions, and wellness issues. MedlinePlus is the National Institute of Health’s website for patients and their families and friends. It is a product of the National Library of Medicine - the world’s largest medical library. Information is presented in language that is easy for most people to understand. Information is current and access is free.
- Family Doctor: Health Information for the whole family from the American Academy of Family Physicians
- Food and Drug Recalls: Searchable listing of any recalls, market withdrawals, and food safety alerts.
- KidsHealth: From the medical experts of the Nemours Foundation
- Merck Manuals: Online versions of the Merck Manuals of Medical Information (Home Edition), of Health and Aging, of Diagnosis and Therapy, and of Geriatrics
- Teen Health & Wellness
- American Cancer Society: Broad selection of information & resources for cancer patients, caregivers, and survivors.
- National Cancer Institute: Information on cancer topics, statistics, and therapies. Includes a searchable database of clinical trials in cancer treatment.
- Herbs and Botanicals: Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center presents evidence-based information on the use of herbs, botanicals and supplements
- Oncolink: Information from the University of Pennsylvania Abramson Cancer Center
- CDC Cancer Page
- American Dental Association 'Health Topics': Glossary of Terms associated with Dental Health
- New Mouth: General overview of many dental topics.
- National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases: A service of the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases and the National Institutes of Health, this website is an online repository of information, statistics, research, and other publications related to diabetes.
- American Diabetes Association: Diabetes basics, living with diabetes, food guides and meal planning, community and outreach
Medication, Pharmaceuticals, & Alternative Therapies
- Clinical Trials: The NIH’s searchable database of published clinical trials.
- Drugs.com: Free, accurate and independent advice on more than 24,000 prescription drugs, over the counter medicines and natural products
- MedlinePlus Drug Information: Quick access to quality drug information from the National Library of Medicine
- MedicineNet Medication Guide
- National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine: Research based information from the National Institutes of Health.
- EatRightPA: PA Dietic Association links to PA Growth Screening Program Information & other nutrition information
- EatRight: Nutrition & food guidelines, serving sizes, & information about vitamins & supplements. Food handling & safety, meal planning, and recipes available. Special consideration for parents, kids, women, and men.
- American Society for Nutrition: A more academic focus on nutrition, with links to publications, news articles, research, and podcasts.
- MayoClinic Healthy Recipes
- MyPlate: Practical information for individuals, health professionals, nutrition educators, and the food industry to help consumers build healthier diets with resources and tools for dietary assessment, nutrition education, and other user-friendly nutrition information.
- Pennsylvania Health Care Cost Containment Council: Including Hospital Performance Reports
Provider Directories & Referrals
- American Board of Medical Specialties: Works in collaboration with 24 specialty Member Boards to maintain the standards for physician certification. Focus is on improving the quality of health care to patients, families, and communities by supporting the continuous professional development of physician specialists.
- ABMS ‘Certification Matters’ Database: Enter your physician’s information to find out whether or not they are Board certified.
- Healthfinder: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- Health Insurance Marketplace: Find answers to your questions about the Health Insurance Marketplace. The 2018 Open Enrollment Period runs from November 1, 2017 to December 15, 2017.
- MainLine Health Providers
- Penn Medicine Providers
- Pennie: Pennie is Pennsylvania’s official health and dental coverage marketplace and the only place to get financial assistance to help lower the cost of coverage and care.
- ReferWeb: Find health and human services available in Chester County. A service of the Chester County Department of Human Services
- MedlinePlus Men's Health: Basic information regarding men’s health organized alphabetically by topic. A -Z entries take the reader to the CDC’s section of the website, with some external resources and links.
- Men’s Health Magazine: The online edition of the popular men’s health journal, with a focus on general fitness, weight loss, and nutrition. Access full current and back issues of Men’s Health online via Flipster.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Including Including medical information for travelers, information for consumers on how to prevent the spread of contagious diseases, vaccine information & safety, and more.
- Chester County Department of Health & Human Services: County health and environmental information, community education, and local services
- World Health Organization
- American Medical Association: Including JAMA -Journal of the American Medical Association
- ABMS Evidence Library: Search a database of evidenced-based publications related to the ABMS Member Board Certification process. Most articles open access, made available through a link.
- Clinical Trials: The NIH’s searchable database of published clinical trials.
- Lab Tests Online: Search by disease or by the name of the test
- National Center for Health Statistics
- PubMed: Index to medical articles from the National Library of Medicine
- NIH Health & Aging
- Nursing Home Comparisons: Information about past performance of every Medicare and Medicaid certified nursing home in the country
- CDC Women's Health Stats
- Girls Health: Wellness information for teen girls
- GoRed for Women
- Mayo Clinic’s Women’s Health Page
Back to top
For More Information
For questions about this page or to report broken links, please email.
Last updated December 2018